Sydney Swans AFLW captain Lucy McEvoy has said her players have had “open conversations” in the wake of the scandal that has engulfed her club and led to five men’s players being suspended for the rest of the season. 

McEvoy, along with AFLW coach Colin O’Riordan, spoke to the media on Friday afternoon, saying the women’s program supports the sanctions imposed on Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon.

Look back at how ABC readers and other Australians responded to this live moment.

The press conference has ended

Those five players will miss the remainder of the AFL season following club-imposed suspensions for breaking team standards in Melbourne earlier this week.

Victoria Police are investigating a sexual assault allegation, where it is alleged one player touched a woman without her consent. No charges have been laid, and no-one has been formally interviewed. 

Speaking on Friday, McEvoy said the AFLW program supported the club-imposed suspensions to the five men’s players, and said their actions did not reflect the Swans as a club.

“On behalf of the playing group, we also support the club in the sanctions that were handed down,” McEvoy said.

“To the players, we are incredibly disappointed, as a lot of people were.

“We know that the actions of those five players are not a reflection of the broader club.”

McEvoy said it had been a big week for the women’s program, who will face Essendon at the Sydney Cricket Ground this weekend.

The Swans were hoping to celebrate this week’s double-header with the men’s round 24 clash with North Melbourne following the AFLW match on Sunday afternoon.

In the wake of this week’s scandal, McEvoy said members of the women’s program were processing their emotions and the situation.

“We’ve had some really open conversations as a group this week, and with the club more broadly,” she said.

“We’ve felt the support both internally and externally as well.

“The girls are working through their emotions as they see fit for themselves.” 

When asked how this week has affected the reputation of the Sydney Swans, McEvoy said the club, both men’s and women’s teams, must work to regain the public’s trust.

“There’s no doubt the club has taken a reputational hit,” she said.

“We will do whatever we can as a club, both programs, to make sure we build back the trust and respect of our members and fans, and the community more broadly.”

O’Riordan, who played 34 AFL matches for the Swans between 2015 and 2022 before becoming the club’s AFLW coach this season, said he was disappointed that he had to address this scandal.

“The actions of a small number of people have impacted a lot of people, especially the women in our football club and wider community,” he said.

“As a man who was brought up with strong morals and a strong sense of what is right and wrong, [it’s] disappointing to be standing here today and be talking about something like this. 

“Growing up, I was always taught you treat everyone with respect, and that respect is a fundamental pillar of how you live your life.

“That is especially important in how you treat women.”

O’Riordan said the club had remained “incredibly united” in the wake of the scandal.

“This is a united club. It always has been and always will be,” he said.

dan