More than 1,000 restaurants and food markets will offer a wave of discounts as part of July 1 celebrations to mark the 27th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to Chinese rule, the city’s leader has said.

Free museum visits and tram rides, as well as discounted tickets for some of the city’s attractions, would also be provided on July 1, Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said on Tuesday.

“More than 1,000 restaurants including those located in the Hong Kong International Airport and the Arcade at Cyberport will offer discounts for celebrations,” Lee said ahead of his weekly meeting with the Executive Council, the government’s top decision-making body.

Free tram rides will also be available on July 1. Photo: Nora Tam

The Fish Marketing Organisation and Vegetable Marketing Organisation will also knock 29 per cent off designated products, he added. The remaining 71 per cent is a play on “7/1”, referring to July 1, the day which marked the city’s British handover.

Lee said the Hong Kong Science Museum, M+ and the Hong Kong Palace Museum in the West Kowloon Cultural District, among others, would offer free entry to the public on that day.

Ocean Park is also expected to offer as much as a 30 per cent discount on its “all day delight ticket” between June 29 and July 1. The park’s ticket currently charges HK$398 (US$51) for adults and HK$239 for children.

The city’s Ngong Ping 360 cable car attraction will knock as much as 70 per cent off children and elderly admission tickets.

More details of the citywide celebrations will be released later on, according to Lee.