Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has said he tested positive for cocaine on the Spanish island of Mallorca and has issued an apology.
In a statement on his Instagram, he announced he “made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it”.
“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me,” Kyrgios said.
“Above all I’m sorry to the kids who follow me.
“I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed with myself.“
The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) issued a statement revealing Kyrgios had been “provisionally suspended” since August 4.
“31-year-old Kyrgios provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on 22 June 2026,” it said.
“On 17 July 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.”
“Kyrgios, who reached a career-high world singles ranking of 13 in October 2016, has the right to appeal the provisional suspension, but has not done so to date,” the ITIA said.
“As with all Tennis Anti-Doping Programme cases, ITIA support is available to Kyrgios.
“While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.”

Nick Kyrgios has been open with his struggles with mental health in the past, including with depression and suicidal ideation. (Reuters: Amr Alfiky)
Kyrgios explained the incident came in the context of years “of injuries … both physically and mentally”.
“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.”
Kyrgios has spoken publicly about his previous struggles with mental health, telling the BBC in 2022 he struggled with alcohol and drug abuse, as well as depression and self-harm.
He has won seven ATP singles titles and the 2022 Australian Open doubles title, partnering with Thanasi Kokkinakis.
In July 2026, he lost in the first round of men’s doubles at Wimbledon and later said it was probably his last appearance at the competition.
“I would probably say pretty confidently my last Wimbledon,” Kyrgios said.
“It would be hard to see myself coming back here again and competing.
“That [2022] final was always going to be one of the better memories of my tennis career, but I just can’t see myself getting back to anywhere near that level.
“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis, tennis chose me,” Kyrgios said.
“But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face.
“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did.“
He said the “good news” was his drug test failure and suspension “has given me a wake-up call” and said he would step away from social media and the public spotlight for the next 28 days.
“I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family,” he said.
“I’m sorry.
“I’ll do the work and come back better.”
dan
