Nearly two-thirds of Hong Kong students who requested a reconsideration of their university placement due to reviewed entrance exam results will receive a better outcome than previously allotted.

The office for the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (Jupas) said on Thursday that it had received 453 requests for reconsideration following the rechecking and review of Diploma of Secondary Education results.

Of those, 287 applicants, or 63.4 per cent, will receive a university admissions offer or better offers than before, up from 58.6 per cent a year earlier.

Thursday’s results marked the highest reconsideration success rate since 2018, when 65.4 per cent of applicants received an improvement in their allocations.

Among the requests received by the admissions body this year, the office said that 204 applicants with main round offers would receive a “better” degree offer following the reconsideration, while 83 applicants who had not received an offer would receive one.