Last Updated on January 15, 2023

On Sunday, prosecutors provided updates after at least seven people were injured in a stabbing attack at a crowded Paris train station on Wednesday. The suspect — who has been described as a 31-year-old Algerian migrant with a standing deportation order — was wounded by responding officers after a brief chase and is currently in custody.

Six victims, including a police officer, were injured in the attack at the Gare du Nord train station, authorities said. The total was soon raised after a seventh victim was located nearby.

Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau did not reveal the suspect’s name in a statement Sunday, though she did not that he will remain in custody and is likely facing multiple charges of attempted murder.

According to Beccau’s statement, the suspect was well known to French law enforcement. He kept multiple identities and has previously been involved in burglary, theft and “rebellion” in 2019 and 2021, the statement said.

The suspect’s criminal record ultimately led multiple deportation orders to leave French territory both in 2020 and 2022, which were not carried out.

According to graphic CCTV footage from the scene, the suspect targeted a man in front of the train station and proceeded to stab him about 20 times for no apparent reason. The attacker then entered the station and proceeded to attack random pedestrians and a police officer. Two additional officers then heard the commotion and responded.

Beccuau said the judicial investigation would seek to clarify the alleged assailant’s exact “actions, motives and personality,” Breitbart News reported.

RELATED: French Man Allegedly Murdered by Algerian Migrant He Welcomed Into His Home

RELATED: Eritrean Asylum Seeker Fatally Stabs Teenage Girl Who Was Walking to School in Germany