West Indies batter Devon Thomas has been banned from cricket for five years, with 18 months suspended, after admitting to seven charges including those related to match-fixing in franchise-based leagues in Sri Lanka, UAE and the West Indies, the ICC says.

The sentence will be backdated to May 23 last year, when the West Indies batter was provisionally suspended. The 34-year-old will be eligible to play again in November 2026.

Thomas admitted he agreed to fix matches in the Lanka Premier League believing it was required for his selection, and accepted money from someone who approached him for match-fixing in the Caribbean Premier League, but denied going through with a fix.

He was also approached for fixing matches in Abu Dhabi T10 and turned it down but failed to report the incident to the designated anti-corruption official, Thomas told the ICC’s anti-corruption unit (ACU).

“This ban is apt and should send a strong message to players and corrupters that attempts to corrupt our sport will be dealt with firmly,” Alex Marshall, general manager of the ICC’s integrity unit, said in a statement.

Thomas is required to provide witness statements and testimony, if necessary, in an ongoing investigation and not commit further offences in order to avoid serving the suspended 18 months, the ACU said in its official decision.

Sports content to make you think… or allow you not to. A newsletter delivered each Saturday.

Reuters

Posted 3h ago3 hours agoThu 2 May 2024 at 10:06pm

dan